Half Ball Exercises: Build Strength, Improve Balance, and Have Fun!
Oct 18, 2023
Half balls, also known as BOSU balls, are a versatile piece of fitness equipment that can be used to improve balance, strength, and coordination. They are also a lot of fun to use!
What is a half ball?
It is a piece of exercise equipment that looks like a stability ball cut in half. It has a flat platform on one side and a rounded dome on the other. This makes it a versatile piece of equipment that can be used for a variety of exercises, including balance, strength, and core training.
Benefits of incorporating the half ball into your exercise routine:
- Improved balance and coordination: The instability of the half ball challenges your balance and coordination, which can help to improve your overall athletic performance and reduce your risk of falling.
- Increased strength: The half ball can be used to perform a variety of strength training exercises, targeting all of the major muscle groups in your body.
- Improved core stability: The half ball is great for engaging your core muscles, which are essential for good posture and stability.
- Reduced risk of injury: The half ball can help reduce your risk of injury by strengthening your muscles and improving your balance and coordination.
Exercises using the half ball:
- Plank with Leg Lifts: Place your hands on the flat platform side of the half ball and assume a plank position. Lift one leg off the ground, hold for a few seconds, and then switch legs. This exercise targets your core, glutes, and shoulders.
- Squats with Overhead Press: Stand on the rounded dome side of the half ball, holding dumbbells at shoulder height. Perform a squat, and as you stand up, press the dumbbells overhead. This exercise targets your legs, glutes, shoulders, and core.
- Single-Leg Balance: Stand on one leg with the rounded dome side of the half ball facing down. Maintain your balance for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then switch legs. This exercise improves balance, stability, and strengthens your leg muscles.
- Russian Twists: Sit on the flat platform side of the half ball, lean back slightly, and lift your feet off the ground. Hold a medicine ball or weight in front of your chest and rotate your torso from side to side. This exercise targets your waist muscles , core, and hip flexors.
The half-ball is a fantastic addition to any fitness routine, offering a multitude of benefits and endless exercise possibilities. If you are looking for a new challenge, try adding a half ball to your workout routine; it would provide you with the strength, balance and coordination you’re looking for in a fun and entertaining way.